This stress and anxiety QUICK technique is my favorite. I’ve taught it, shared it, used it for years and it just occurred to me, why not post it! So for those of you who suffer from anxious thinking or under stress here’s a simple technique that works.
Better yet, it requires no Rx, no money, no time and you take it with you where ever you go:
1. Take a deep breath through your nose.
2. Hold the breath for just a moment
3. As you release it gently through your nose, relax in any way you choose
4. As you relax say silently: ‘Thank you brain, I’m safe.”
5. “Sprinkle” the Signal Breath/I’m safe cue throughout the day and evening. It’s a good idea to get a cue(s) to remind yourself to do this. A post-it-note on the bathroom mirror, every time your phone rings, a note in your appointment book etc.
Sound too simple!? A brain is easily fooled in that it can NOT tell the difference between when we are actually in danger (anxiety is our brain’s way of keeping us on alert for danger so we can survive) and when we perceive danger through thoughts or other cues.
Imagine a snake, a spider, anything that you are afraid of – Your brain will register “danger!” and flood your cells with the neurochemistry of fear/anxiety. Watch a sad movie – Your brain will flood you with sadness and if you are like me, you’ll sob like a baby. Neither are real but your brain doesn’t know and reacts to protect you as if it is actually happening.
Soooooooooo, tell your brain you are safe and it will stop flooding you with the neurochemistry related to fear and anxiety.
It’s not instant cup’o’soup because once you are flooded with the anxious feeling it will take about 20 minutes or so for the neurochemistry to metabolize out of your body’s cells.
You HAVE to breathe anyway so you’ve got nothing to lose – except your anxiety!
Originally posted on Curious to the Max.Click here to see more from Curious to the Max