I’m worried. Peggy & Judy are promoting a recreational drug.
Did you know that some cats get euphoric, others are sedated and EVEN drool when they sniff catnip? Some veterinarians think that the moans cats make while exposed to catnip are responses to chemically induced hallucinations!
When a human has hallucinations and drools it’s a problem but when cats take recreational drugs humans think it’s cute.
I looked up catnip and here’s some startling information I found:
- “Smoking catnip became popular as an alternative to marijuana in the 1960s. When the herb is smoked, it produces a low level, legal high complete with audio/visual hallucinations and a relaxed feeling. Concentrated doses of Nepeta cataria brewed as a tea can also produce a mild, short-term sedative effect in humans.”
- Leaves from Nepeta cataria or nepetalactone oil extracts are used by cat owners to provoke their pets.
- Catnip, in large enough quantities, will also work as an attractant for large cats like lions and tigers.
- Europeans in the 1400s regularly drank teas made from catnip, with the herb earning a medicinal application for treatment of colic and flatulence. Nepeta cataria is a member of the mint family, with tea brewed that possesses a flavor and smell similar to mint tea
- Made into a tea, catnip has calming properties similar to chamomile.
- Concentrated nepetalactone also makes for a powerful mosquito repellent. However, it lasts just a few hours.
Catnip serves no real purpose other than allowing owners to watch their cats go bonkers
Catnip should be a controlled substance and this blog name should be changed to FreddieBlog
I rest my case.